Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Greetings

I guess I'll start with a little about myself. I quit my job a month ago to pursue one of my biggest dreams: write a book. It's funny to write that sentence because nothing I say can really convey the time and energy that was put into that decision. It wasn't something suddenly decided over dinner one night - it was a series of small choices made over a series of months, and involved a lot of frank conversations with my family.  (Sometimes these conversations would go until 11pm, that's how frank they were!)  I am, however, incredibly fortunate in that I have a very supportive husband, one who is willing to work to keep a roof over our heads while I write. And write and write (and write some more). Thanks babe!


So what am I hoping to get out of this blog?


Practice: I've never written a book.  I took writing in college, but I know I can do better. I want to do better. And how do you get better? You practice. But I don't necessarily want to work on the book every day, because that will cause burnout. Then I realized: a blog would let me prattle on all day about nothing (There are plenty of people that do that.) I could not only use a blog as a way to sharpen my vocabulary and writing specs, but also perhaps build relationships or (at the very least) get some advice on how to fold a fitted sheet.


Accountability: I'm very much someone who starts things all gung-ho then never finishes (see my spare bedroom for a good example: two of the walls are painted and one is half-painted, then it just kind of tapers off... if you stand in a certain corner of the room it looks great! Just don't stand in the other corner, because then it looks horrible.) I think it's certainly easy enough to start something, but to follow it through to the end... that takes skill. That's something I've always struggled with. Talking about it online in a blog, however, puts it in a very public eye.  If there's anything I've learned from being online it's that the internet is never short of people who will call you a lazy ass.


In short, I am following the advice of a very wise man:

Never half-ass two things, whole-ass one thing.



No comments:

Post a Comment