Thursday, July 5, 2012

Sunny weather and coupons

Have I mentioned how much I love the sun?  I live in the Northwest so we see the sun approximately 2 weeks a year (and that is our summer and we like it).  This weekend is forecast to be sunny in the mid-70s -at the risk of sounding like a 4-year-old, I totally think this would be a great weekend to go picnic somewhere.  That is seriously one of my favorite things to do - sit on a blanket under a tree, eat and fall asleep in the summer sun (well that and ramble endlessly).  I love it so much I even went and mowed my lawn (have you seen my lawn?  No matter where you live, the answer is yes.  It is that large.) so we could sit outside yesterday and eat on our blanket.  I love it.

I'm not sure how many people know this but I've really gotten into budgeting over the past year; I even went and taught myself excel so I could have a spreadsheet (make no mistake, I will be one of those old people running around going "back in my day we didn't have smartphones or apps and we LIKED it).  I feel like I could be better at using coupons, though.  My real problem is it seems like coupons are always for things I don't never buy/don't need.  What I've been trying to do is pay attention to when meat we actually use (mostly chicken) goes on sale and stock up then.  Right now our menus are done in 4-week cycles (ie I shop once every 4 weeks for 90% of our groceries.  We weren't having luck with just doing one big trip every month so every other week we run for milk and fresh fruit/vegetables), but things aren't always on sale when I'm ready to shop!  I believe I could cut costs down further by stocking up when stores place things on sale.  Even though it will mean an extra trip, it might be worth it to save an extra $5-10.

Daily art after the jump


I've always thought it was cute when couples shared earbuds (hygiene issues aside).  Not really a fan of the background, though I was at a loss as to what else I could have done and was out of time (we're going for quantity, not quality... yet).  I think I'm going to be ready to start some real drawings very soon (though I'll certainly want to keep up with these sketches as well.  They're great exercise!)

No comments:

Post a Comment