Thursday, October 25, 2012

Organizing Recipes

I love to cook and try out new recipes.  You know what I don't love to do?  Organize things.  This is what my recipe "file" looked like for months and months and months (like seriously, before I even moved into this house.  THAT WAS 1.5 YEARS AGO.):


WHY. D:
Lately I've been playing with the idea of making my own darned recipe cards because 1. I have a lot of free time; 2. I have a husband who is really really, ridiculously good in Illustrator and 3. I can't find any recipe cards I'm in total besotted love with (that might be my own fault, I'm notoriously picky.  I can afford to be - I went to school for art!)

So the first step to this project was to figure out a way to organize everything (which I still haven't fully figured out), but a pretty reasonable place to start seemed to be the basic categories: appetizers, main dish, side dish and desserts.  At the end of it all, the poor appetizer category only had three (literally) entries, while the desserts section was so stuffed it was threatening to spill over into the side dish section.

Just desserts?  Moar like ALL DESSERTS.  Nom nom nom.


I'm thinking of breaking these down further into subcategories (like maybe "cakes", "candies", "cookies" etc for desserts) because I have more recipes floating around and eventually want to make a giant book of recipes I can pass along to friends and family.

Fun fact: There is not a single beverage recipe in this pile.  I'm not sure what that means.

No comments:

Post a Comment