Friday, June 29, 2012

Sloppy Joes


Last night I made sloppy joes, which normally would not merit a blog post but I found a recipe from allrecipes.com that allowed me to skip the canned sauce and make my own using mustard, onions, garlic and ketchup (mostly ketchup).  It's never crossed my mind to make my own sloppy joe mix and I've always used the canned stuff.  Intriguing!  My husband has made this before and it was delicious, so I decided to try my hand at it.


Plorp!


I took about a pound of ground beef and plorped it in my medium size frying pan. The stove and I will occasionally play a fun game where sometimes it won't heat up all the way so I have to turn it up to the highest setting to even get it to moderately warm up. Then it gets really hot, so I have to take things off the burn and adjust accordingly. I love you, stove!





While cooking the meat I added the garlic, onion powder and pepper (this is both riveting and interesting)





After fully cooking and draining the meat, I added rehydrated onions. I looove the smell of ground beef cooking. Love it. Like Ron Swanson once said, turkey can never beat cow.




Adding the ketchup, mustard and a splash of worcestershire.  The recipe also called for brown sugar, which I didn't take a photo of.  I left out the green peppers because neither of us are huge pepper fans.



20 minutes later, this stuff smells goooooood. I kind of want to just pour it into a bowl and eat it with a fork. But I mustn't.

But it's tempting.





Success!




Close up of the mixture. This sauce is a lot thicker than the canned stuff and seems to coat the meat better.



These are... good. Really good. And incredibly easy. If you have time to heat up the stuff from the store you have time to do this recipe, which tastes worlds better and is more economical since it's made using things almost everyone has in their cupboards (ketchup, mustard, brown sugar).
 
Sloppy Joes II recipe from Allrecipes.com





No comments:

Post a Comment