Thursday, September 13, 2012

Homemade Tortillas

I have a confession: DM and I have been living off tacos for the past four/five nights.  Not because we had to (we have plenty of food... probably too much), but because we recently discovered the joy that are homemade tortillas.  Warm.  Soft.  Fluffy.  Perfection.




Even though this is becoming a fairly regular occurrence in our house, I'm still amazed at how much better tasting homemade anything is over store bought.



Homemade tortillas are... deceptively simple.  You know those recipes that always say "oh, you probably have all the ingredients right now in your cupboards!" Then you look and they want flour, sugar, salt and vanilla beans grown on the north slopes of the Himalayas between the months of July and August ONLY?  That is not one of those recipes (I hate you, tricky recipes).  You actually probably do have all the ingredients in your cupboards - flour, salt (if you want), baking powder and oil.  I'm going to make the bold guess that most of us have hot water.



You just mix all your dry ingredients together, then add in the oil and hot water and mix...






...Until it all forms a doughball.  Then, rest for 30 minutes.  You've worked hard.  Go take a break.  Watch some TV.  Eat a KitKat.


After the dough has rested, it's divided into 12 balls (I didn't weigh them, I'm just that lazy).  Someone on the TastyKitchen blog left a comment saying to pat them out on foil, as when they start to cook they'll lift right off.  Genius!  Bonus: it totally works.  I've tried it.







Here is my not-quite-round tortilla, happily cooking away in the pan.  I was having issues where I would burn the living daylights out of them and they'd get all stiff and Frisbee-like, but by the end I was doing warm, soft tortillas.  Mmmm.  My mouth is watering just thinking about them again.


'
These are my second batch (yes, we ate TONS of tortillas over the past week...) I love how they get so puffy.  These are seriously addictive - I can already tell I'm going to have a problem knowing that these are readily accessible in my home (hopefully my laziness will win out over my desire to cook and devour a dozen tortillas).  DM and I were sitting on the couch inhaling the smell of the tortillas because they just smelled that good.  (Also, we have issues.)


So good.  TastyKitchen was right, I'll never buy store bought again.


Homemade Tortillas @ Tasty Kitchen

No comments:

Post a Comment