Thursday, July 12, 2012

A Hearty Jaunt About Town, and Mushrooms

Because I've basically cocooned myself in my house for the past month and a half, I'd forgotten how much... fun... (fun is not the word I'm actually thinking of :( ) it is to drive in rush hour traffic.  At one point I watched the light turn green no fewer than three times before I was finally able to get through it (seriously, you guys?) I know we don't have the worst traffic (I think that award goes to Los Angeles or somewhere thereabouts... and in all fairness that is traffic I would not wish on my worst enemy), but dang.  That's insane.

In other news, we've been trying to eat better (smaller portions, more fruits/veggies) and I'm at the lowest weight I can remember (so at least 5 years).  Woohoo!  Since we cook in menus, I've been looking for vegetarian recipes that won't repulse us and sending running to the nearest hamburger, here are a few I've found that look promising:

Mushroom and Spinach Ravioli with Chive Butter Sauce
Portobello Mushroom Burgers
Stuffed Mushrooms

(Can you tell I was really on a mushroom kick here..)

I don't know about anyone else, but I always grew up thinking it wasn't dinner unless there was meat on the plate (my husband is the same).  So it's an interesting experience - we've tried doing eggplant parm with great success, but it was just one vegetarian meal out of 10 or so.  Also I deep fried it, so I'm pretty sure I totally negated the point of having vegetarian in the first place.  I'm really interested in those portobello burgers - people have told me you can't tell it's not meat but my brain is having a hell of a time reconciling that mushroom = meat.

Have you tried portobello burgers?  Are they good?  Am I crazy for trying this experiment?  I guess I'm figuring that if it doesn't work, I can just go back to eating chickens and cows and when people say "have you tried NOT eating meat?" I can go "Yes I have.  And it was terrible."

No comments:

Post a Comment